Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Last Blog...

*sigh* I knew this day would come, I thought I would be a lot more sad, but since all I can think of lately is summer which equals no school, it doesn't seem so bad anymore. So now I am supposed to recap on my growth in this class, but be forewarned, you may not like it.
When I entered this class all I knew was that it was the study of Highbrow and Lowbrow literature, and that Mr. Sexson was teaching. That sounded pretty good to me! Little did I know I would be thrown into an alternate world of books that speak gibberish, and evoke suicidal imaginations, all to be read with joy and excitement.
I experienced these strange books with as open a mind as possible. The very first book "Haroun and the Sea of Stories", was deceiving. I loved it, I could barely put it down. Then came the day that I opened "Finnegans Wake". . . . . I read a bit then threw it down. If I didn't think it is horrible to destroy a book, it would have been shredded, drowned, then burned, then the ashes would have been buried as far from humanity as possible. Yet there it sits on my table... mocking me with its deceptively joyfully colorful cover.
I returned to thoughts of Haroun to survive.
Beckett was next on the list... At least its cover did not lie to me. It was appropriately dark from beginning to end. And I have only one question... Why does he worry about sucking the same stone twice, if he's got an even bigger problem staring him in the face? Why the hell is he sucking on stones!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Oh man it feels good to vent! Well at least I learned something... Knock, Knock...

Ahh the sweet relief of Shakespeare! That is a line I never thought I would think. Shakespeare was my Joyce before I read him. So yes I have grown, not as fast as others who were swept up by the popularity of the Highbrow our class invoked. But now I do not see Shakespeare as an enemy but as a last resort ally!!
Well it has been quite a trip. I have done things I never thought I would do... I read books for class... thats the big one.. I wrote a highbrow laced play... and I enjoyed coming to class each day. But now it is all over and I cannot dwell on it any longer.
Thanks Mr. Sexson for a great semester!!

No comments:

Post a Comment